Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Hand Crafted Holidays 2015 : The Hand Crafted Kitchen

MagPie Approved: Wind Dancer Studios, Woven Ribbon Heart
A Little bit of a Woven Ribbon Heart

If home is where the heart is, the kitchen is the heart of the home, and hand crafted is heart crafted, it just makes sense that this years Hand Crafted Holiday series be a Hand Crafted Kitchen.

The countdown to the holidays has begun! Thanksgiving is in just three short weeks and Christmas follows (as usual lol) just four weeks behind.

This year I’m starting the series off with Hand Crafted Vanilla Extract. It may seem a bit early but  vanilla extract takes several weeks to make and I wanted to give you ample time should you choose to make it yourself.


If like me you love the smell and taste of real vanilla extract, you can imagine just how deliciously good a made with love batch tastes. We have a family member who makes it every year and mmmmm it’s good!

In the spirit of the holiday season I thought I’d share that home made goodness with you. 
I’ve found recipes and kits, bottling supplies, labels and ways to decorate your bottles so that they’re as unique as you are! And I’ve also found a wonderful new shop on Etsy that sells A Beautifully packaged extract that has been aged for an entire year. 


I found a recipe at Tidy Mom that looked super simple to follow: http://tidymom.net/2012/recipe-for-vanilla/

and another here: http://theimprovkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/12/worth-extra-step.html  and this one also includes Vanilla Sugar, imagine that on some Cinnamon toast, or Cinnamon Rolls! mmmhmmm 

I just got this e-mail from King Arthur Flour with a kit so you don't have to hunt down vanilla beans:


and another kit on Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/254560165/

If you prefer to use the recipes above and source the beans yourself, I've found some fun bottles for your finished product:

MagPie Approved: Pinterest find Apothecary Jar Supplies
Apothecary Jars
Available HERE

MagPie Approved: Etsy find Apothecary Jar Supplies
Brown Glass Jars
on Etsy




























You could use the really pretty labels provided with the recipe above but I also found some really Great DIY labels over at http://www.thebudgetdecorator.com/diy-label-projects-and-free-printables/   you might like to try.

MagPie Approved: Pinterst find  DIY  Labels
DIY Labels found on
Budget Decorator
MagPie Approved: Pinterst find  DIY  Labels
DIY Labels found on
Budget Decorator

































I poked around on Pinterest some more and found some great tutorials on decorating those bottles:

Step by Step Photo Tutorial
found on this BLOG

Bottles Etched Using Martha Stewart Doily Stencils
































If after all of this, you'd prefer to purchase your Artisan Vanilla rather than make it I found a cute little shop on Etsy with some wonderfully packaged Vanilla.


Wind Dancer Studios: Etsy Find Artisan Vanilla
Artisan Vanilla Found on Etsy
HERE

LOVE this vintage Vanilla signage found on Etsy
HERE
While I don't have any extract in my shop I do have some Smokey Quartz 
= Jewelry with gorgeous rich and smooth vanilla extract coloring =

MagPie Approved: Wind Dancer Studios Smokey Quartz Earrings
Found in my Etsy
HERE
MagPie Approved: Wind Dancer Studios, Smokey Quartz Earrings
Found in my Etsy
HERE





https://img1.etsystatic.com/039/0/5717654/il_570xN.625303869_guig.jpg
Found in my Etsy
HERE

The holidays are about sharing and caring, and I’d like very much to get the word out that hand made is heart made as is the holiday season. 

SO, If you like this post, and I hope you do! Please feel free to share it! Blog about it, Tweet it, Pin it, Instagram it and give it a shout out on FaceBook. Don’t forget to come back each week for another post in this years series: The Hand Crafted Kitchen


Thanks for stoppin by!
We'll See ya Next Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment