Tuesday, February 18, 2014

February's Birthstone - Amethyst

This Amethyst Geode Lives in My Window

I enjoyed creating the January birthstone treasury enough I thought I might make it a monthly thing. It gives me a color theme for at least one treasury a month, I get to showcase a couple of my own pieces here, and since I like using color themes that works out well for me.  Bonus, it gives me a guaranteed topic for one post a month! I'd say it was cheating but if I look back over my posts I have several months missing one weeks posting and blogs LOVE consistency so it's actually making me a better blogger.

Instead of just making the treasury and calling it good, or showcasing it here with a few of my own pieces I thought it might be more interesting if I added a little something. Which helps me as I don't have jewelry for each of the birthstones - I really should remedy that! A couple years back I stumbled onto the poems for each month, first published by Tiffany's in 1870 from an unknown author. Each month has a poem corresponding to the months birthstone, if a month also has other accepted stones, I'll include that info too. At this time though unless I find it particularly interesting I'm only including the US version of the birthstone - getting on with February....


                          

The February-born shall find
Sincerity and peace of mind,
Freedom from passion and from care,
If they an amethyst will wear.


The most recognized stone for February is Amethyst, however throughout the 15th - 20th centuries Hyacinth (Yellow Zircon) and Pearls were also accepted birthstones.

February' Amethyst Treasury



Amethyst Beaded Chain
Rose Quartz, Pink and Purple Amethyst  Chandeliers



I also have a pair of Crazy Horse Agate earrings that have the coolest coloring to them, a rusty purple that somewhat resembles marble with its fine veining and mottled coloring that I paired up with crystals and amethyst. And an Egyptian Style woven copper necklace with Amethyst chips as accents.



Thanks for stopping by!

We'll see ya next time!

2 comments:

  1. I love beautiful posts on birthstones and this one taught me some things I didn't know and also gave me the opportunity to see YOUR treasury! It is a great one! I have a son born in Feb and two whose birthstones are the beautiful Amethyst. What joy I take in this stone, and in your other alternatives you have presented! Thanks, Dana! xox jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean! I think this is going to be a fun addition to the blog.

      Delete