Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Junes Birthstone: Pearls

Can you believe it's June already? Me neither! Half the year has flown by, just that fast! For those  still hopping away (ahem like me albeit rather slowly at this point - sorry guys!) Bead Soup is HERE

Pearls are the featured birthstone this month.

But as our poem shows that wasn't always the case.......

Who comes with summer to this earth,
And owes to June her hour of birth,
With ring of agate on her hand
Can health, wealth, and long life command.

Cat's Eye, Turquoise and Agate were the accepted stones from the 15th through the 20th centuries. Not bad choices, they're all very pretty stones, and hey! Who wouldn't want to command a long, healthy and wealthy life?! However, come 1912 Pearl and Moonstone replaced the previous stones. Maybe as a nod to Wedding Whites, and a little romantic moon gazing?
As of 2013 Alexandrite has been added to the list, bringing the count back up to three.

I have two er three treasuries to share with you this month. As you may or may not know I am a member of Self Representing Artists in Jewelry Design (SRAJD for short) I was featured in the second treasury along with a few of my fellow SRAJD artisans and their pearl creations and the third is one I created of my fellow SRAJD artisans.


June Finds for June Brides and pearly whites
June's Blush on Etsy


June Birthstone of Pearls
June's SRAJD Pearls



This is one birthstone I have used fairly often in my designs, in fresh water, glass and vintage faux varieties. Using Potato, Mostly Round, Mabe (including uncut blisters) and Button shapes. Nineteen listings in my Etsy shop might be a bit much to share with you here, since at least 10 of those listings have already been shared here on this blog for blog hop reveals and my woohoo moment with Bead & Button ( I need to start submitting again, I really enjoyed creating with a magazine in mind ) I think I'll just post one or two.......well maybe three you know to match three treasuries .....

fresh water pearls, smokey quartz, moonstone, crystal and mother of pearl earrings
Clustered Pearls, Moonstone, Smokey Quartz Earrings


Vintage Faux Pearl and Glass Pearl Earrings
Vintage Faux Pearls


Glass Pearl and Crystal Earrings
Glass Pearl and Crystal Earrings


You can click here if you'd like to see ALL 19 PEARL LISTINGS Happy June!
Thanks for stoppin by!
We'll see you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment